Posts Go Unseen

 


When I look at the statistics on this blog one fact stands out above all others: if I don't share a post on either Facebook or Twitter, no one - not one person - views the post. 

I don't think my writing is so compelling that it should be otherwise, but this fact does bother me. For many people, Facebook or Twitter is the internet, and that wasn't how it was supposed to be. The internet was supposed to be all about decentralization - a wonderful smorgasbord of different topics and viewpoints - not curated or algorithmically provided to us. Instead we have gatekeepers, and not even human ones, but gatekeepers in code. 

I started doing the opposite -- posting on Twitter and then sharing the post to this blog, but that way generates no views here either. So, that is probably a waste. I think it's time to abandon this platform and focus on one. It's hard for me to give it up though, along with my domain. Does it make any sense to retain my domain name if I just post on Twitter? I'm not sure it is. I own it for 5 years, so I won't do anything to change that. It's my address in cyberspace and I'm going to hang on to it until I'm dead (or beyond!). Don't be surprised if I change my mind in a week, month, or year and start posting here again. I go back and forth on this. I feel both compelled to write here and that it's a big waste of my time. I'm a whack job; I admit it.

Based on the book I reviewed recently, Sandy Hook, I think both Facebook and Twitter have been remiss in policing hate and lies, but that Twitter does marginally better. So, if you wish to see what I'm up to, or care about, simply follow me on Twitter: 

https://twitter.com/kevin_moriarity 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Retiring from Print Book Formatting

Geneva Car Show