Let’s Rip Up The Parking Lots!

(Go to the Treehugger article

I saw this tweet and was quite intrigued.

I’ve been reading a lot about trees lately. I think we need more of them. More trees will suck CO2 out of the atmosphere and provide shade – both good things. When I grew up in Chicago our street had massive elm trees. The whole street was canopied with them. Then the Dutch elm disease came around the 1960s and we lost all of our trees. The city replanted trees, but they were tiny. That was when I realized how much cooler it was in the shade!

My current town has a lot of parking lots that are under-utilized. In the 30 years I’ve been here I’ve rarely, maybe never, seen the inner parking lots full. That leads me to think the outer parking lots (circled in the pictures below) could be torn up and planted with trees.

I don’t know where to start to make this happen. I’m sure the businesses along Randall Road would object. Once the trees matured their business wouldn’t be visible from the road. They would lose parking spots (which I maintain they don’t need). But, maybe someone reading this would know what to do. 







(Images from Google Maps)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Retiring from Print Book Formatting

Geneva Car Show