My Blog Problem

 My blog, which I’ve had online for about 14 years, was hacked. I have fixed hacked blogs before (mine and clients, all on Wordpress, but this is the first time it’s happened to me on Google’s blogspot), but this time I just didn’t have the energy to fix it, so I deleted it. Problem solved.

I have two domains: kevinmoriarity.com and voiceofdoomandgloom.com. The latter one is the one I most identify with. I put it on my business cards. I do tend to be gloomy. I feel that people are short-sighted, mean and extremely self-centered. Every time I read or watch the news (less and less often lately) my assessment seems confirmed.

I do have a friend that seems to be determined to change my attitude however. And that is why I changed my VoiceOfDoomAndGloom graphic. I’ve been reading books about trees and plants lately and it seems many scientists think we could plant our way out of the climate change crisis. Unlike my friend, I don’t think we’ll cut emissions – certainly not in time to avoid the worst effects. She blames corporations; I blame us. We aren’t willing to give up our homes with air conditioning, dishwashers, and all the media devices we’re addicted to. We’re not willing to give up our mobility—whether that means cars (gas or electric, both produce emissions) or airplanes. However, planting billions of trees seems like it might make a difference.

Here in my neighborhood there are few trees on the parkway. I have two (which we paid for before we knew the city would give us trees for our parkway at a significant discount), but my parkway is the exception. I grew up in Chicago and before the Dutch elm disease, our street was canopied by tall elms. Our street was shaded most of the day, and therefore quite a bit cooler than it was after the trees were taken down. My neighborhood needs trees on every parkway – both to suck up all the CO2 they can and also to provide shade over the expanse of concrete and asphalt. So, maybe if we wake up and start planting, things could improve.

I’m not sure how much I’ll contribute to this blog. It seems I have less and less to say as I realize I cannot change anyone’s mind or have any impact at all. In the past I’ve posted about the world of indie publishing with an occasional political / cultural rant thrown in. We’ll see.

In the meantime, if you’re reading this you have probably followed my blog for a while, and for that I thank you and if I decide to continue writing, will try to provide content that is meaningful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Retiring from Print Book Formatting

Geneva Car Show